Saturday, April 25, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins

I just started baking lately and so far my experiments turned out nicely although my first try with banana nut bread was a bit on the dry side and the flavor wasn't right. So, I tried it again with my own measurements and it was a famiyl hit! Before I forget, I wanted to write it down. So here it goes:

Ingredients:
1. Whole wheat flour -2 c
2. Bananas -3 medium, mashed well
3. Walnuts - 1/3 c
4. Flax seeds - 2tbsp
5. Salt - 1/2 tsp
6. Baking powder - 2 tsps
7. Eggs - 2
8. 2% Milk - 1 c
9. 1/3 c oil
10. Brown sugar - 1/3 c packed.
11 Vanilla extract - 1tsp

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Bring Eggs to room temperature and beat it well with a whisk.
3. Whisk in oil, Milk, Brown sugar and mashed bananas. I ran out of brown sugar so I opted for 2tbsp of regular sugar and rest honey to make up 1/3c.
4. Grind Walnuts and roasted flax seeds in a food processer until it becomes a coarse meal. Instead you can also opt for ground flax seeds and chopped walnuts. The reason I do this is because my kid doesn't like nuts in her food. So, I try to grind it to a meal so she doesn't even know its in there.
5. Add this meal to egg mixture and whisk well.
6. Sift flour, baking powder, salt together.
7. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, incorporate the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and fold it well.
8. Oil spray the muffin tray. Spoon in the batter and bake for about 18-19 min or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Enjoy it as a wholsome breakfast with a cup of Chai or a mid-afternoon snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment