I used to live with a couple from bombay. The Girl was quite organized and it always amazed me how well she maintains a clean home between a full time job, a CPA degree( which she says is pretty demanding) and Socializing(which she never misses...).
Her fridge was never cluttered. She mangages to pack healthy homemade lunches almost everyday. I've learnt a thing or two from her during my stay. She always makes couple of extra subzis and Dal during the weekend and freezes a portion of it for a lazy-night. And during the week she makes simple side dishes like Baingan ka bhartha, Aloo bhindi and cabbage aloo.
This recipe is a slight variation from hers and a quick 'n easy one done under 40 min.
1. Eggplant - 1 medium.
2. Onion - 1 medium, diced
3. Tomato - 1 medium diced
4. Ginger - 1" inch, minced
5. Garlic - 3-4 pods, minced
6. Cardomon - 1
7. Cloves - 4-5
8. Cinnamon - 1/2" piece
9. Bay leaf - 2 ( if big, 1 is sufficient )
10. fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
11. cumin powder - 1/2-1 tsp
12. Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
13. Coriander powder - 3 tsp
14. Green chilies - 2, rough chop ( optional)
15. Coriander leaves for garnish
16. 5tbsp oil
1. Poke holes in the eggplant, rub it with oil and microwave it for about 15 min. Turn it every 5 min. Once done let it stand in the microwave for about 10 min.
2. While eggplant is cooking, heat 3tbsp oil is a heavy bottomed pan and add whole garam masala ( cloves+cardomom+cinnamon+bay leaf+fennel). Let it fry for less than a min.
3. Add ginger and garlic and saute for about a min. It gives out nice aroma.
4. Now add diced onion and add 1/2 tsp salt. (Salt helps onion sweat sooner). Let it cook for about 4 min on a med flame or until it turns a translucent. Add chilies. Skip the chilies for kids.
5. Now add chili and coriander powder and give it a good stir.
6. Throw in diced tomatoes, add salt and cover to cook for about 10 min. Give it a good stir. cook uncovered for another 5 min.
7. Eggplant will be ready by this time. Remove the thin dark skin. Mash the pulp roughly. Add it to the pan and stir well.
8. Adjust salt. Add 2 tbsp oil ( as a healthy variation: add 1/2 c water) and let it cook for 5 more min and garnish with coriander leaves when hot.
Serve it with buttered rotis.