1. Peerkanga - 1 long.
2. Onion - 1/2 med diced
3. Tomato - 1/2 med diced (optional)
4. Toor or Moong Dal - 1/4 c cooked.
5. Garlic - 4-5 pods minced
6. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
7. Asafoetida - 1 pinch
8. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
9. Split urad dal( odacha uluthamparuppu) - 1 tsp
10. Curry leaves - few
1. Cook toor dal with a tsp of cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric until done.
2. Heat oil in a small pressure cooker, add mustard seeds and split urad dal. After it splutters add curry leaves and minced garlic. Saute for <1min.
3. Peel and cube Peerkanga in the mean time.
4. Add onion, tomatoes, cubed peerkanga to the pan. Mix in cooked toor dal and 1 c water. ( If I were to use moong dal, I don't cook it before. I just add the dry ones here. )
5. Close the pressure cooker and let it cook on a low flame for 2 whistles.
Serve it with hot idli or as a side for puli kolumbu.