Here are some healthy flavourful and kid-appealing breakfast ideas:
1. Egg white omlete with Onions, green peppers and tomato:
I make a simple omlete with egg whites(6 whites) and keep it aside. In the same pan, add 1/2 a onion saute for about a min. Add diced green peppers and saute for about 4-5 min. Add 1/2 a tomato. Add about 1/2 c water and cook until tomatoes soften. Serve it on the side of Egg white omelete.
Time: 15-18 min. ( you can save time, by making onion/green pepper/tomato sauce the night before)
2. Oatmeal with plump raisins and brown sugar: I add 1 c of oats, 1/4 cup of raisins and 2 c water to a small pressure cooker. Cook it on low flame for about 15-18min. I love this as it is very easy to make and putting this on pressure cooker, lets me do other stuff while its cooking. Serve it with 1/4 c milk and 1tsp brown sugar sprinkled on top.
Time:18 min( if you include the cooking time.)
3. French toast with whole wheat raisin bread: beat a egg white, 1/4 c milk and 1 tsp brown sugar(optional). Keep a pan on low flame. Dip 4 Raisin breads in egg mixture and lay it on oiled pan. Let it cook for about 2 min on each side. You can do the same with whole wheat bread, but add a tsp more of brown sugar. Serve it with couple of Strawberries. Slice it up and serve it with a tsp of maple syrup drizzled on top. I reserve this for the weekends. Takes about 10 min from start to finish.
Time: 10 min.
4. Pita omelete sandwich: Make an egg white omelete. Stuff it in whole wheat pita breads with a tsp of ketchup or hot&sweet sauce. Its awesome with a cup of chai or orange juice!!
Time: 15 min
5. For a grab-and-go, whip up a batch of awesome, whole wheat muffins with berries or Oat bran muffin(will post recipe soon..) the night ahead or even during the weekend.
Time: <1 min?!?!
6. Oat bran with craisins: I take about a 3tbsp of oat bran in a bowl. add a handful of craisins, 1 cup water. Cook it in microwave for about 3 min high. Stir once. Add 1/2 c milk and microwave for another 2 min. Add a tsp of brown sugar and enjoy!! You can do the exact same with oatmeal. For anyone, who thinks, this doesn't taste good: try it.... for alteast 3 times.. when you are TERRIBLY hungry in the morning. You will love it. I do and so does my kid.
Time: 6 min
Make breakfast the MOST important meal of the day. STUFF as much as you want without feeling guilty. not any stuff... I meant healthy stuff. Whole grain stuff. You'll love it. :-)
Have the best start you deserve!!