I promised, I'll blog one of my favorite arachuvita kootu recipies. Its pretty versatile. Just replace Beets with any other koottu vegetable like turnip, nookool( banglore kathirika), Peerkanga, Kovakka etc.
This is what I made today for lunch.
Beets - 2 med, finely diced.
Pottu kadalai - 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1-2 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp(Add just 1/2 tsp, do not omit this entirely )
Leftover cooked Dal - 1/4c ( can be tuvar dal or moong dal)
Split Urad Dal - 1tbsp
Dry Red chili - 1 ( add more if you prefer it spicy )
Mustard seends - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few for tempering.
1. In a pan add a 1/2 tsp of oil and urad dal. Saute for about a min or 2 and let it turn golden brown. Now add red chili. Let it saute for less than a min. Let it cool and grind it to a fine paste with coconut, Pottu kadalai, leftover dal and cumin seeds. Set it aside.
2. In the same pan, add 1/2 tsp oil. Add in mustard seeds and after it splutters add the curry leaves.
3. Now add finely diced beetroot. Add a 1 cup water and let it cook covered for about 10-15 min on a medium flame. Occasionaly stir.
4. Once the beets are cooked and tender, add salt and mix in the cocont paste. Add little water to bring to a kootu consistency. Adjust salt.
5. Turn it off once the mixture comes to a boil.
Serve it with hot Rice or warm Roti. My daughter loves this and so will you. So, try it!